Have you ever had a day when you wake up in the morning and decide that your entire life needs a makeover? I think it is pretty normal to wake up on the wrong side of the bed occasionally, but if you feel like you are drowning at work every single day, then it may be time to re-evaluate your future. I will give you a few things to ponder that may change your outlook about what is truly important as well as discuss tips to begin your very own career change.
- What is your passion? Let’s imagine that money is not an issue and you can survive by hunting, gathering berries, and living in a hut. How would you spend the rest of your time? What is stopping you from pursuing your passion and chasing your dreams?
- What have been the most memorable achievements in your life? Pondering your successes will help you realize where your strengths lie and give you extra motivation to continue pursuing your passions.
- What is your ideal lifestyle? Close your eyes, take 3 deep breaths, and focus on what is going on around you right now. Imagine what kind of person you want to be, how much money you would earn, where you would live, and the people who would surround you. How can you start to align your actual reality with your imagined reality?
Here is a little advice from me to you. It is not too late to pursue a career change and there are so many things you can be doing right now to remove the limitations that you have placed on yourself.
Here are a few examples of tangible ways to gain experience in your new career:
- Self-assessments will uncover your talents and passions and help you identify your most enjoyable work (and life) experiences.
- Career assessments can also be beneficial to help you recognize themes that emerge and find a career that aligns well with your strengths and abilities.
- Create a game plan that will help you increase your experience in the target field. This may include job shadowing, informational interviews, volunteer work, pursuing a certificate, or joining a professional association.
- Don’t forget to have a positive attitude and NEVER give up!